Make it healthy: This is a Southwest Sweet Potato Quinoa chili from The New Healthy blog (the-new-healthy.com) It’s vegetarian, too.
Read on to get the recipe and ideas for serving.
Healthy Southwest Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili
* 1 large sweet potato (peeled and chopped)
* 1 can black beans (rinsed & drained)
* 1 can kidney beans (rinsed & drained)
* 1 bag frozen Southwest inspired black beans and corn (see below)
* 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes
* 2 tablespoons green chiles (canned is OK)
* 1/2 cup raw quinoa
* 1 cup water
* 1 cup coconut milk
* 2 cups low-sodium V-8 juice
* 1/8 cup chili powder
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* stevia (natural sweetener) to taste
* 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
* 1 teaspoon cayenne
* 1 tablespoon cumin
* salt and pepper, to taste
(Recipe generously shared by Stephanie at her blog, the-new-healthy.com)
Serving ideas: Serve over brown rice, soba noodles, or with natural corn chips.
Bake your own chips from corn tortillas by cutting tortillas with a pizza wheel into wedge shapes, brushing them with olive oil, sprinkling with your favorite spices and baking on a cookie sheet at 400 till crisp – 3 minutes or so. (Watch to prevent burning.)
Note: The author of the recipe suggests the Archer Farms Southwest Inspired Corn and Black Bean seasoned blend, found in the freezer section of Target.