A fellow food writer, Lynn Kessel from Tampa, went to the Tampa Bay Veg Fest – all things vegetarian and vegan.
It was there she found this pumpkin pie, a vegan pie made with tofu.
I’ve borrowed it from her blog – go here to read it and get more great recipes and food news. She’s great!
Here’s the recipe:
VEGAN PUMPKIN PIE
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust (recipe below)
- 3/4 pound tofu, soft or medium
- 2 cups canned pumpkin (plain)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and then mix all filling ingredients until smooth in a blender container – this makes it ultra smooth. Pour into unbaked crust and bake for 1 hour.
Pie crust dough:
- 2 cups white flour or blend of flours
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
With a fork, mix 1/3 cup ice cold water into ingredients to form pea-sized lumps. Roll and shape to fit into 9-inch pie pan.
Makes 1 9-inch pie.
Tip: Use a blender!