The Mechanics and Art of Recipe Writing
Writing a recipe is easy if you follow the basic format.
- Title: If foreign, translate to English for us when possible.
- Special notes and time required: If recipe should be started the night before or earlier, or needs to sit for 4 hours or more for marinating, indicate so before the cook begins.
- Ingredients: Always list ingredients in the order they’re used in the recipe. For any canned or boxed products, give an ounce or size to the box or can. For any unusual ingredients, define them or suggest a place to get them.
- Equipment needed: Spell out any special pots, pans or tools needed.
- Method: Give the step-by-step method to making the dish. Don’t assume other cooks know how something is put together; spell it out. Give elapsed time when possible.
- Servings: How many normal servings the dish makes. Spell out a serving size if you have it.
- Nutritional info: If you have it, please send that along.
Credit Where Credit is Due
We don’t steal recipes and don’t want your stolen ones! You will get full credit for any recipes you submit. We want you to get the accolades. If you absolutely love a recipe that you didn’t develop yourself and wasn’t handed down, you may submit it, but please give credit to the source.
Search for Recipes*
Please search by recipe name or major ingredient.
Submit your Favorite Recipes
Traditions in Food: Our Food, Our Heritage
Firehouse and other Shift Food: Eating in 24-hour Shifts