Lenore Pinello decided over six years ago to follow her passion in food and cooking. Author of Mangia, Mama!, she offers classes at her school, In the Kitchen in Tequesta. The classes match the seasons, so summertime favorites are featured in June’s menus. Students watch Pinello prepare the foods, then join in dining, while taking home recipes to recreate in their own kitchens.
Classes are popular for a “girls night out” and other groups who like to get together over food. Students can bring wine or other beverages to share if wines are not provided.
Any level cook or food enthusiast is welcome, Pinello said.
For the more serious food and wine lovers, special wine dinners are planned; in June, Seven Hills wines will be part of a dinner. (See below.)
Along with weekly cooking demos, Pinello also offers private dinner parties, personal chef services, party and fine-dining catering and retail foods.
For all classes and events, reservations are required.
June 6 (Thursday), 6:30 p.m.: “Summer at the Seashore”
- Menu: Clams casino, arugula watermelon salad, seafood cioppino over orzo, Key lime meringue pie with raspberry sauce.
- Wine provided: Seven Hills winery.
- Cost: $65
June 12 (Wednesday), 6:30-8:30 p.m.: Seven Hills Wine Dinner
Howard Friedland of Bulletproof Wine & Spirits will be at In The Kitchen for this special Northwestern U.S. – inspired wine dinner. Established in 1988, Seven Hills Winery is one of the Walla Walla Valley’s oldest and most respected wineries and is one of several major wineries represented by Howard and his partner, Mike Greenfield. This evening’s wines will focus on Cabernet Sauvignons and Bordeaux-varietal reds from the Red Mountain and Walla Walla Valley AVAs.
- Menu: Crispy fried sweet onions with buttermilk ranch dressing; beet and orange salad; wood-roasted salmon with asparagus; wild mushroom ravioli with veal demi, kale and pine nuts; apple walnut phyllo with apple cardamom ice cream
- Wine provided: Seven Hills Wines
- Cost: $75
June 20 (Thursday), 6:30 p.m.: “Best Thing I Ever Ate! Dad’s Favorites”
- Menu: Mussels in garlic and wine sauce, classic Caesar salad with bacon and croutons, ultimate pork chop, triple hot fudge sundae
- Cost: $65 (great gift for Dad!)
June 22, Saturday, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.: Hands-On Pizza Making Class
Learn to make gourmet grilled pizzas from scratch – beginning with the dough! Grill it and choose your favorite toppings for a fabulous treat!
- Menu: Gourmet grilled pizzas, including dough and toppings.
- Cost: $100
In the Kitchen
- Gallery Square North, 389 Tequesta Dr., Tequesta
- Phone (561) 747-7117; www.inthekitchennow.com