Watermelons are still all over, and the weather is still sweltering. Here’s a recipe for a watermelon cooler from creative chef Jeremy Hanlon of West Palm Beach (My Fresh Chef – he caters and does private cheffing and is working on a TV show). I love his use of fresh fruits and vegetables in every dish he makes. Bold flavors in unusual combinations from fresh foods – that’s Hanlon.
You can go to Hanlon’s blog to read his story about the drink and vacation – but here’s the recipe for Fuzzy Melon (that’s my name for it that won his Facebook contest). A non-alcoholic version follows.
- 3 cups ripe seedless watermelon – coarsely chopped
- 1 lime – juice only
- 1 ½ cups Peach Vodka (quantity may vary according to mood)
- 8 ounces ginger ale
- 4 sprigs mint – ripped into small pieces
- 8 basil leaves – ripped into small pieces
- 1 ½ tablespoon confectioners sugar
- For garnish – mint leaves, lime slices
Place watermelon, lime, and vodka in blender. Whip on high until watermelon is pureed.
Combine watermelon mixture, ginger ale, torn herbs and optional sugar in a large pitcher. Stir to combine well and fill with crushed ice.
Serve in tall cooler glasses, garnished with a lime slice and mint leaves.
Makes 6 to 8 drinks.
Non-alcoholic version: Substitute 12-ounce can peach nectar for the vodka; continue as above.