Had to share this – from Farmers Pal Facebook page:
As for a recipe, we tapped the Splendid Table.
Jelly worms (or other figures)
- 2 boxes flexible straws
- tall pitcher or milk carton, or other slender container to hold bundles of straws upright
- 2 rubber bands
- small-spout funnel or squeeze bottle with nozzle
For homemade fruit gelatin (replacement for named-brand box):
- 2 cups fresh or good-quality bottled fruit juice or puree (grape, apple, pear nectar)
- 1 small envelope (1/4 ounce) unflavored gelatin
- 2 to 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Sugar, honey, maple syrup, or fructose to taste (optional)
Make the gelatin: Pour 1/2 cup of the fruit juice into a medium glass bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over it. Let stand for 1 minute.
In a medium saucepan, bring the remaining 1-1/2 cups fruit juice to a boil. Stir the juice into the gelatin mixture until dissolved. Add the lemon juice and sweetener to taste, if desired. Let cool slightly.
Using a small funnel or squeeze bottle with tip snipped, pour gelatin mixture into straws, filling each straw completely. For stability, fill from the center straw outward. Set in refrigerator and chill approximately 2 hours or until mixture is set (test with skewer, if need). Have a bowl ready near sink. Holding straws horizontally, run warm water over straws until “worms” slip from the straws into bowl – about 40 seconds.
Keep refrigerated until serving. (They do not freeze.)