Twenty-five meatball makers will put their best balls forward in the “Best ‘Balls in Town” contest sponsored by the Boca Raton restaurant, the Meatball Room.
With an already impressive list of meatballs and other Italian specialties on the menu, it’s looking for the “Ultimate” meatball to add to the list.
- Classic – veal, beef and pork with marinara and ricotta
- Beef brisket – brisket and herbs with marinara and ricotta
- Spicy Sicilian – beaf, veal and pork with pine nuts, raisins, fra diavolo sauce and ricotta
- Mediterranean lamb – lamb, with onions, red peppers, tomatoes, feta, mint and herbs with tzatziki sauce
- Veal Marsala – veal, shallots, fresh thyme with Marsala creme mushroom sauce
- Turkey – turkey, onions, celery, carrots with cranberry jelly and traditional turkey gravy
- Meat-less meatball – vegetarian meatball
There’s also a “featured” meatball daily.
The registered contestants (the contest is closed) will bring their completed meatballs to the Meatball Room to be judged on flavor, texture and appearance. The winner will have their meatball featured on the menu, and gret a $500 gift card. Other prizes will be awarded to second, third and fourth-place winners.
Along with Boca Raton Mayor Susan Haynie, Steve O. and Renee from the Eat & Critique show, and special guest judge NBA’s Kenny Anderson, I’ll be helping judge.
The contest is open to the public and sales benefit the Police Athletic League of Boca Raton. Along with the contest, there will be entertainment, a wine tasting, food and drink specials on the patio and a balloon artist for kids.
- 2-4 p.m., Saturday, April 26, 2014
- The Meatball Room at The Regency Court
- 3011 Yamato Road (in Woodfield Plaza), Boca Raton
- Free admission; food can be purchased on site.
- For more information or directions: 561-409-4111; www.meatballroom.com